Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Book review: Just A Geek by Wil Wheaton

I've been a Star Trek fan since I was a young boy and that has not stopped since. I watched STNG with my father and saw every episode and although the writing sometimes left a little to desire, the show was still great. One of the main cast, young ensign Wesley Crusher, played at the time by a young Wil Wheaton, was not a favourite character, but I quickly recognized that writing had more to do with it than the actor's intrinsic skill.


Cut to several years later, and Wil Wheaton has discovered an additional talent, writing. I have just had the pleasure of listening to an audiobook version of one of his books, Just a Geek. Unlike most Hollywood actirs, Wheaton has a decidedly honest and interesting point of view on an industry that he decided to leave behind, a situation that caused him his fair share of heartache, as he poignantly describes in the book.

I highly encourage any Star Trek fan to read the book, for a candid and interesting peak into the lives of people who helped the story to come to life. I also highly encourage anyone to read this book, if only to learn that some actors are far more complex, interesting, genuine and honest people than what we may have come to believe.

Note: The audiobook version of this book is read by Wil Wheaton himself, which probably serves to make this version even better, as he adds details that are not in the written version of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment